Below, you will find several updates that you will find useful when advising students.
Payment Due Dates, Enrollment Cancellation, Waitlist.
Payment due dates can be found in the bursar's website at http://www.sjsu.edu/bursar/fees/duedates/spring/. On the day of the enrollment cancellation process, the waitlist process does not run to allow the Registrar's Office to re-enroll students in classes due to enrollment cancellation errors.
Academic Standards: Probation and Disqualification Policy, S10-6 Effective Fall 2011, Academic Senate Policy S10-6 will change how disqualification is determined. To learn more about this policy, you can:
1. Attend the Advisor Information Session on Thursday, November 18, 2010 from 9:30-10:30am in Engineering room 189 (refreshments will be available in the lobby area just outside of Engineering 189 from 9:00-9:30am; food is not allowed inside of Engineering 189). In this session, you will also learn more about Retroactive Grade Forgiveness and Incomplete grade contracts).
2. If you would you like to see a flowchart that shows the semester-by-semester process, please visit the Advisor Resources section of the For Advisors page of the Advising Hub. http://www.sjsu.edu/advising/docs/Probation_and_DQ_flowchart.pdf
3. If you would like to read the policy, you may visit http://www.sjsu.edu/senate/S10-6.htm
Enrollment Unit Cap
The enrollment unit cap for the Winter 2011 session is at 4 units. This is the same cap we had during the winter session 2010.
For Spring 2011 registration, all students both graduate and undergraduate, will have an enrollment unit cap of 14 units through Dec. 21, whereas students who have applied for degree completion in the spring 2011, summer 2011, and fall 2011, will have an 18 unit limit for the entire registration cycle.
On the morning of Dec 22, the enrollment limit changes from 14 to 18 units for all students through the last day to add (Feb. 14)
There will be no change in the excess units petition procedures or requirements. The Excess Units petition form for Spring 2011 will be available on the Registrar's website a week before classes start. (Late Registration)
Here's the link to the Registrar's Spring 2011 calendar for other important dates.
http://winter.sjsu.edu/calendar (IES website)
Retroactive Grade Forgiveness Did you know that there are many SJSU students who have not claimed their eligible grade forgiveness units? Students most likely to be in this situation are those who:
1. Repeated classes prior to Fall 2009 and didn’t realize there was an application for this process.
2. Did not pass a MUSE course and took another non-MUSE GE in the same area.
3. Were not properly assigned (automatically) grade forgiveness for a second attempt taken Fall 2009 or later (this situation is very rare).
4. Took cross-listed or discontinued courses, and repeated a replacement course with the same or similar content.
5. Took a class with content from included as a part of a more comprehensive course taken for the second attempt (rare; Math 30 followed by Math 30P is an example)
To learn more about this process and who would be eligible, you may attend the Advisor Information Session on Thursday, November 18, 2010 from 9:30-10:30am in Engineering room 189 (refreshments will be available in the Engineering 189 lobby area from 9:00-9:30am). In this session, you will also learn more about the Academic Standards: Probation and Disqualification Policy (S10-6) and Incomplete contracts. You can view the Retroactive Grade Forgiveness Petition at http://www.sjsu.edu/ugs/docs/Petition-Retro_GF.pdf
Special Comments Regarding Graduating Seniors (graduation applications on file for Spring 2011, Summer 2011, and Fall 2011) 1. These are the only students allowed to register for up to 18 units from the beginning of the advanced registration period.
2. Graduating seniors will not be able to register for classes they are repeating. AARS will help them enroll in these courses, and AARS has sent a message to them with specific instructions for notifying AARS. The students should have followed the instructions by November 15, 2010 for prompt AARS assistance.
3. Once registration closes, students will have the opportunity to notify AARS of any classes they were not able to get. AARS will then prepare senior verification cards that students will be able to pick up before classes begin. Graduating Seniors do have priority for seats the first day of class. (Note that priority for cards will be given to students graduating spring and summer 2011 before fall 2011, but also note that students without graduation applications on file cannot get these cards.)
The Advising Liaisons have developed a short survey to determine what training material should be developed to help with advising undergraduate SJSU students. This survey applies to all advisors (not just to faculty advisors). Please take a few minutes (less than 5, we promise) to complete this survey. We will be very thankful if you respond before Thanksgiving! Please respond by Wednesday, November 24,2010.
Please follow the link below to access the survey.
Do you remember the big push for high units seniors to move forward in the process of graduating? All of your efforts have shown results. Comparing the 2008/9 and 2009/10 academic years, graduation applications have increased, with many of these students being awarded the degree. If you would like to see the statistics, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/advising/for_advisors/grad_data/